Monday, January 18, 2010

Just Smile

My good friend from high school visited me on the weekend and we had a lot of fun laughing and smiling about silly things. My kids see a different side of me when we get together. What I like about my friend is that she smiles a lot even though she has had a difficult time in the last few years. Her son and my son enjoyed hanging out together, too. I saw a lot of ourselves in them. It made me think of how dull life would be if we couldn't smile. Isn't it wonderful God gave us the ability to smile and laugh.

Like bread without jam
or fried eggs without ham.
Like a house without doors
or a grandpa that snores.
Like a ship without sails
or a beach without pails
and no sand found for miles
is a face without smiles.

Like a school without blocks
or doors without locks.
Like a nest without eggs
under tall ostrich legs.
Like a clock with no chime
that can't tell the time,
is a face that won't smile
even once in a while.

Like spahgetti without sauce
or a small dog that's cross.
Like a bird without song
or nights that lasts long
is how people would feel
If none gave a smile that's real
For the smile on each face
is what brighten's the place.

No comments: